Basements often get the short end of the stick when it comes to home improvements. However, what most homeowners don’t realize is that their basement floor is an area that can have a big impact on the feel and functionality of their living space. Polished concrete creates an attractive flooring option and a long-lasting and durable solution for your basement.
Today, we will take a closer look at what you need to know if you are considering polished concrete for your basement. As the top-rated concrete coating contractor in the Greater Kansas City area, Epoxy Floors by Welch brings years of experience and expertise to the topic of concrete polishing. So, let’s review the key factors to consider before making a final decision for your basement.
What Is Polished Concrete?
You might be wondering what, exactly, is polished concrete? It’s a type of concrete that has been treated with chemicals and ground down with progressively finer abrasives to create a smooth, shiny surface. The process creates a beautiful, modern look that’s perfect for contemporary spaces like basements. With polished concrete floors, you won’t have to deal with traditional flooring issues like fading, staining, or scratching. It’s also incredibly easy to clean, making it perfect for high-traffic areas like basements.
Is Polished Concrete Right for Your Basement?
While polished concrete is a great flooring option for basements, it’s not for everyone. Here are some pros and cons to consider before making a decision.
- Easy to maintain. Polished concrete requires no waxing or stripping to keep it looking new.
- Durable. Polished concrete is incredibly tough and can withstand heavy foot traffic.
- Aesthetically appealing. Polished concrete is modern and chic and can add significant value to your home.
- Upfront costs. While you will save money on maintenance costs in the long run, polished concrete can be expensive initially.
- Time-consuming installation. The installation can take up to several days, depending on the job’s size.
- Cold and hard surface. Polished concrete can be cold and hard, making it uncomfortable for bare feet or pets.
Benefits of Polished Concrete in Your Basement
Polished concrete is rapidly becoming a top choice for homeowners looking to upgrade their basements. Here are some benefits to consider if you’re thinking about making the switch:
- Cost-efficient: While the initial installation cost can be high, the long-term maintenance savings make polished concrete an affordable investment.
- Durability: Polished concrete is tough, and it’s resistant to scratches, stains, and heavy foot traffic.
- Easy to clean: Polished concrete is easy to clean and maintain, making it perfect for high-traffic areas.
- A viable option for moisture-prone basements. Basements with water issues are not suitable for carpet or wood flooring, making polished concrete the perfect choice.
Contact Epoxy Floors by Welch for Polished Concrete in Your Basement
We hope that these key points surrounding polished concrete help you make an informed decision that is best for your home. If you are looking for an affordable and durable flooring method for your basement, look no further because polished concrete will hold up for many years. This affordable option is very popular in the Kansas City area. Here at Epoxy Floors by Welch, we are ready to provide expert-level installation and high-quality finishes that will make your basement feel like home. Contact us today so that we can help you make your dream project a reality